A Polish lorry driver who smuggled millions of pounds worth of cocaine into the UK while transporting a shipment of Kim Kardashian’s Skims clothing has been jailed for more than 13 years.
Driver Jailed Over Massive Cocaine Smuggling Plot
40-year-old Jakub Jan Konkel was sentenced to 13-and-a-half years in prison at Chelmsford Crown Court after admitting his role in transporting approximately £7 million (€8 million) worth of cocaine into Britain.
According to the National Crime Agency (NCA), Konkel was stopped by Border Force officers at Harwich Port in Essex on September 5 last year after arriving on a ferry from the Netherlands.
The lorry appeared to be carrying a completely legitimate cargo — 28 pallets of Skims underwear and clothing products. However, investigators later discovered that Konkel had secretly collected 90 kilograms of cocaine during the journey.
Drugs Hidden Inside Trailer Doors
Authorities said the Class A drugs were carefully concealed in specially modified compartments built into the rear trailer doors of the HGV. The cocaine had been packaged into 1kg blocks to avoid detection.
Investigators confirmed that neither the importer nor the exporter of the Skims shipment had any knowledge of the smuggling operation.
During police interviews, Konkel admitted he agreed to transport the cocaine in exchange for a payment of €4,500.
NCA: Criminal Networks Rely on Corrupt Drivers
NCA operations manager Paul Orchard said organised crime groups often exploit corrupt lorry drivers to move drugs across borders using legitimate commercial deliveries as cover.
Procedural Gridlock in Nenagh: Overburdened Systems Stall Legal Progression in Faulkner Case
He stated that the seizure not only removed a huge quantity of cocaine from UK streets but also disrupted the criminal network behind the operation.
Orchard added that Class A drugs continue to fuel violence, exploitation, and suffering across communities in the UK.
Border Force Praises Major Drug Interception
Border Force assistant director Jason Thorn praised officers involved in the operation, describing the seizure as a significant blow to organised crime groups.
He said the interception prevented criminal gangs from making millions in profit and highlighted the ongoing efforts to stop dangerous drugs from entering the country.