Burnham Pledges £442m Drive to Get Rough Sleepers Off Streets by Christmas

Mizan Rahman
Aug 19, 2026 09:59 AM
Andy Burnham speaks with Hubar, who is homeless in London, during a meeting with rough sleepers and staff from The Passage charity.
  • Andy Burnham has pledged £442 million for a national campaign aimed at getting rough sleepers off England’s streets before Christmas.

Andy Burnham has pledged £442 million for a national drive to get rough sleepers off England’s streets before Christmas, making the fight against homelessness a central priority of his government. The Prime Minister said on 18 August 2026 that the programme would seek not merely to reduce rough sleeping but to end it, drawing on the approach used during the Covid-19 pandemic to move people sleeping outside into safer accommodation.

Burnham’s announcement comes as homelessness remains a major challenge across England, with charities warning that bringing people indoors for the winter must be accompanied by sustained support, secure housing and action on the shortage of affordable accommodation.

Writing in the Guardian, Burnham argued that rough sleeping has become so familiar in British towns and cities that behaviour which once shocked the public can now appear almost routine.

The Prime Minister pointed to the Government’s response during the Covid-19 pandemic, when authorities worked rapidly to provide accommodation for people sleeping rough. He said the same sense of urgency should now be applied to the wider homelessness crisis.

Burnham has set an ambitious political objective: ending rough sleeping rather than simply managing or reducing the number of people living on the streets. The £442 million commitment is intended to provide councils and local partners with the resources required to intensify efforts before the winter months.

Daily Dazzling Dawn understands that the initiative is designed to focus not only on immediate accommodation but also on the support people need to move towards longer-term stability.

Housing Secretary Angela Rayner defended the Government’s approach and said she was confident sufficient accommodation could be found to bring people indoors by Christmas.

Speaking to LBC, Rayner stressed that removing people from the streets should not be treated as the end of the process. She said longer-term support would be essential for people facing complex circumstances, including difficulties involving employment, mental health, addiction and access to secure housing.

Rayner also pointed to experience in Greater Manchester, where rough sleeping numbers had previously fallen before rising again. She argued that tackling homelessness successfully requires sustained action across different parts of the country rather than a temporary intervention concentrated in one area.

Her comments highlight one of the central difficulties facing the Government: helping people leave the streets can be achieved more quickly than ensuring they have stable accommodation and support afterwards.

Burnham’s record in Greater Manchester has become an important reference point for the national policy. During his time as mayor, the region introduced programmes designed to provide accommodation and support for people experiencing homelessness.

The approach demonstrated that focused investment can reduce rough sleeping, but it also exposed the difficulty of maintaining progress when people move between areas in search of available services and accommodation.

Rayner said the experience showed why local authorities and central government must maintain a consistent focus rather than relying on short-term campaigns.

The Government now faces pressure to demonstrate that the new national funding can produce lasting reductions while avoiding a situation in which people are simply moved from streets into temporary accommodation without a realistic route towards permanent housing.

Homelessness organisations have broadly welcomed the additional funding, while stressing that rough sleeping represents only one part of England’s housing crisis.

People can become homeless without sleeping outdoors, including families and individuals living in temporary accommodation, hostels or emergency housing. The shortage of affordable homes and rising housing costs have placed additional pressure on councils responsible for supporting people at risk of homelessness.

Campaigners have therefore warned that the Government will need a broader strategy if it wants to reduce homelessness sustainably. Increasing the supply of genuinely affordable housing, improving access to private rented accommodation and providing specialist support could all play a role in preventing people from returning to the streets.

The Christmas deadline is consequently likely to become an important early test of Burnham’s homelessness policy.

The homelessness announcement came during a wider day of political activity. Burnham also confirmed a partnership involving the Government and the West Midlands Combined Authority to give the region greater local control over bus services.

The Prime Minister also addressed questions about text messages exchanged with a person impersonating Donald Trump’s chief of staff, Susie Wiles. Burnham said no information of consequence had been shared and that the matter had been reported promptly.

He is also expected to present findings from a review of the early release scheme in England and Wales when Parliament returns in September. Justice Secretary Alex Norris is developing measures intended to strengthen public safety while reducing reliance on the early release of prisoners.

Meanwhile, Labour donor and green energy entrepreneur Dale Vince has urged Burnham to reconsider his position on new North Sea oil and gas projects, including Rosebank and Jackdaw. Vince has argued that production could proceed with price controls designed to reduce energy costs.

For Burnham, however, the immediate political focus is homelessness. His £442 million commitment sets a clear winter objective, but the longer-term measure of success will be whether people moved indoors remain in secure accommodation after Christmas.

Daily Dazzling Dawn learned that ministers are presenting the programme as the beginning of a sustained effort rather than a one-off winter operation. The coming months will show whether the Government can translate that pledge into lasting reductions in rough sleeping across England.

Full screen image
Andy Burnham speaks with Hubar, who is homeless in London, during a meeting with rough sleepers and staff from The Passage charity.