The Football Association (FA) has confirmed it will not take disciplinary action against Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe following his controversial comments about immigration in the United Kingdom.
In a brief statement issued on Saturday, the FA said Ratcliffe had been reminded of his responsibilities as a participant in English football during media engagements but would face no further measures.
“As background guidance, we have issued Sir Jim Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities as a Participant in English football when taking part in media interviews. We won’t be taking any further action,” the FA said.
Ratcliffe, founder of chemical giant INEOS, had sparked criticism during a February 11 interview in which he described Britain as having been “colonised” by immigrants. He also argued that high migration levels and a large number of people on state benefits were harming the economy.
The remarks drew criticism from UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, prompting Ratcliffe to later apologise for his choice of language while maintaining that immigration remains an important issue to debate.
Manchester United manager Michael Carrick declined to comment directly on the controversy ahead of the club’s Premier League fixture against Everton. Instead, he highlighted the club’s long-standing commitment to equality and inclusion.
“Equality, diversity and respect for each other is something we look to carry through every day,” Carrick told reporters.
Manchester United currently sit fourth in the Premier League with 45 points from 26 matches. The club will look to strengthen their position in the top four when they travel to Everton on Monday, aiming to secure qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League.